9 Best Toptal alternatives – Best Toptal competitors in 2024
Toptal is one of the leading tech talent marketplaces in the world. And for a good reason. They were one of the first major freelance platforms in the industry for premium talent.
The Best Toptal Alternatives at a Glance:
Discover the Following Top 9 Alternatives to Toptal for Hiring Remote Developers in 2023
- CloudDevs – Hire highly vetted, time zone-matched, LatAm developers & designers in 24 hours at a price range of $45-$70 per hour
- Unicorn.Dev – A global pool of pre-screened remote developers and designers at $35 per hour flat
- Turing – A platform that seamlessly links businesses worldwide with skilled remote talent with the use of AI
- Gigster – Outsource your project to an elite tech team providing development services starting from their minimum project fee of $52,000
- Arc.Dev – A service that offers a global pool of pre-screened top remote developers matching them to clients using their HireAI solution
- Gun.IO – Exclusive network of top-tier US-based software engineers offering development services starting from $75 per hour
- Supersourcing – Scale your team with rigorously vetted global software experts available on flexible work models
- Upwork – A marketplace to connect remote freelance talents in any industry with businesses globally, with varying rates based on specific skills
- Fiverr – An online marketplace connecting non-vetted freelancers and clients for a wide range of digital services
Interestingly, there’s been an increase in the number of freelance platforms available in the market over the last 5 to 7 years, giving a lot of options for those searching to hire remote developers, designers, and product managers. Learn more about freelance marketplace statistics in 2023 here, to make the best hiring decisions for your enterprise.
Each of the below-mentioned Toptal alternatives offers a unique set of features that makes them suitable for founders with different requirements.
So, if you’re on the hunt for some Toptal alternatives to hiring developers for your projects, this guide can be of use to you.
Established back in 2010, Toptal boasts a diverse array of talent, encompassing software developers, designers, product and project managers, as well as finance experts, all meticulously screened and readily available for hire.
One of Toptal’s distinctive attributes lies in its rigorous vetting process, ensuring that only the top 3% of talent gain entry to the platform. This meticulous screening guarantees that Toptal’s clientele gains access to the highest echelon of remote talent, making it the premier choice for enterprises seeking to recruit the very best.
Why Explore Alternatives to Toptal for Your Developer Recruitment Needs?
When it comes to securing tech talent, it’s wise to consider a range of options. While Toptal may enjoy popularity, numerous other platforms offer distinct features and services that may better align with your requirements.
Currently, there are a multitude of Toptal alternative platforms to choose from. However, each of these Toptal competitors has its own unique value proposition. Some specialize in specific domains and provide additional services, such as project management and quality assurance, setting them apart from the competition.
By delving into alternative options to Toptal and examining their individual offerings, you can identify the best match for your specific demands and preferences, ultimately making a well-informed decision that serves your business’s long-term interests.
How much does Toptal cost? Toptal allows its freelancers to set their own rates within the platform.
What is Toptal’s hiring time – Hiring time is based on the availability of devs within the platform.
Wait up to
For more details on customer experiences with Toptal, visit their G2 profile for reviews.
Top 9 Toptal Alternatives to Hire Remote Developers
If you’re searching for a Toptal alternative that offers very similar services to Toptal, you’re most likely searching for a platform that offers pre-vetted talent. However, this may not be the case for everyone. Those of you with some technical knowledge who can interview and vet the talent themselves may not mind hiring from a platform that offers a wider network of talent to choose from.
See below for a mix of platforms that serve as the best alternatives to Toptal, which you can choose from based on your specific requirements.
1. CloudDevs Vs Toptal
- Toptal allows its freelancers to set their own prices; as such, the cost of Toptal talent would vary for each client. In contrast, CloudDevs charges a fee of $45 to $70 per hour for all vetted senior talent on its platform. They are the only top-ranking Toptal alternative to offer these rates without compromising their standards.
- CloudDevs’ 8000+ talent pool comprises Elite Senior Developers and Designers with 5 years plus experience exclusively sourced from the Latin American region.
- CloudDevs hiring process can take place within 24 hours.
- CloudDevs assures all their talents are assigned from the same time zone as the client, in order to warrant all communications and delivery of services can be conducted efficiently.
- The company offers a 7-day no-risk trial period to guarantee the chosen talent is the right fit for the client. If the client is not fully content, CloudDevs is ready to either immediately replace the talent or refund the money.
- CloudDevs offers a weekly rolling contract with no minimum commitment that allows the client to cancel the project whenever they want.
- CloudDevs holds a 4.9 rating on G2
If you’re looking for a platform that focuses on connecting clients with remote developers for specific technology stacks, CloudDevs can be a favorable choice over Toptal. The platform offers a seamless hiring process, allowing clients to review developers’ profiles, skills, and past projects.
You can hire elite senior developers and designers from LatAm through CloudDevs at an hourly rate ranging from $45 to $70, without compromising on the quality of their output. As per Reddit users, CloudDevs assures high standards of developers as they only hire the best talent on a short-term or on-demand basis.
Read more about CloudDevs Vs. Toptal here.
2. Unicorn.Dev Vs Toptal
- Unicorn.Dev is one of the cheaper alternatives to Toptal charging its clients a flat rate of 35 USD per hour for all their senior vetted talent. As Toptal’s rates are different from talent to talent as well as the location of each talent, it’s difficult to state how much they would quote for your dev before the sign-up process.
- Unicorn.Dev offers a senior talent pool with all their developers and designers having at least 5 years of experience in their respective fields.
- Due to their extensive pool of pre-vetted talent, you can be matched with a Unicorn Dev in under 24 hours.
- Unicorn.Dev offers a 1-week free trial when you hire each new talent, so you have an entire week to test out their work and see if it’s the best fit for you. If you’re not content with the talent, you may ask for a replacement that comes with another week-long free trial.
Toptal developer rates differ depending on their talent and location, resulting in a varying cost for each developer. However, Unicorn.Dev is an alternative to Toptal that offers pre-vetted senior tech talent at a flat rate of 35 USD, which provides transparency and simplifies the decision-making process for pre-seed founders and entrepreneurs. According to Reddit users, Unicorn.Dev is a reliable choice for those who seek clarity and quality in their hiring process.
Read more about UnicornDev Vs. Toptal here.
3. Turing Vs Toptal
- Turing distinguishes itself with its cutting-edge AI matching engine, designed to align your project’s unique requirements with the most qualified professionals in its extensive global network.
- This network spans multiple time zones, providing you with access to a vast and diverse pool of talent. This however means that the platform does not allow for time zone alignment.
- However, it’s worth noting that Turing does not provide a trial period for potential clients. Instead, you’re required to place your trust in Turing’s capabilities and expertise right from the outset.
- The average cost of hiring Turing developers is estimated to be upwards of $55 per hour.
- Turing has a G2 Score of 4.1, indicating an average level of client contentment with the platform’s services.
If your project demands a comprehensive team of highly skilled developers and designers, and you’re willing to invest in an AI-driven system that can match you with talent drawn from a rigorously pre-screened pool, then Turing could be the ideal choice for you. However, it’s essential to carefully evaluate your options, as there are other competitive platforms in the market, such as Total, that also offer fully managed project solutions. Depending on your specific requirements, Total might be a viable alternative worth exploring.
4. Gun.IO Vs Toptal
- This exclusive invite-only network of highly vetted and elite software developers sourced from the United States incorporates a customized recommendation process to match developers with companies.
- However, their niche invite-only pool reduces the number of options the client has to pick from compared to other Gun.io competitors like CloudDevs and Toptal which have larger talent pools to access.
- Gun.io offers the ability to book freelance developers for the monthly hours required by the client, and in general, assures a hiring time of 48 hours.
- The client is able to bring in additional resources or swap out talent as required.
- Comparatively higher in its rates than Toptal and other Toptal alternatives, Gun.io charges upwards of $80 per hour depending upon the required specifications.
- Gun.io holds a G2 Score of 4.5
If you’re willing to pay a premium price for a product developed by a Toptal competitor that sources an exclusive group of software developers from the United States, Gun.io can provide talent services similar to Toptal. Gun.io provides dedicated account managers who assist in matching clients with developers who fit their specific project requirements. However, if you’re not willing to opt for the premium route, there are other top Gun.io competitors listed in this article that you may want to consider, offering more cost-effective options.
Find out more about Gun.io Vs. Toptal here.
5. Gigster Vs Toptal
- If you’re wondering what is Gigster, it is a talent platform specializing in offering the entire tech team for hire. Gigster is unsuitable for small-minded clients that require only one specific task that can be accomplished by an individual developer. Having access to a pool of top-quality developers and project managers, the company uses AI-based algorithms to bring together the right team for the job.
- The global network of developers presented by Gigster spans multiple time zones, and the company claims to find the right candidate to fill your position in under 10 days from a network of 1000+ global members.
- Gigster pricing is in the higher range as they utilize project-based compensation, charging a steep per-project fee of a Minimum of $52,000 per license.
- While they offer a strong development base, the same cannot be said about their design elements within the projects developed by this Toptal alternative. which may lead to the client needing a third-party design team to do the final glow-up, which would increase the product’s overall cost.
- Furthermore, Gigster does not offer a trial for their services, so one has got to put their complete faith in them and hand over the reins wishing for the best output.
- Gigster holds a G2 Score of 4.5
Try Gigster if your project requirement entails hiring an entire team of highly skilled developers and designers, and you are not too concerned about what it may cost, in that case, Gigster may be the best option for you. However, many of Gigster’s competitors like Toptal also offer the option of hiring for fully managed projects, and if that is your requirement, you may want to consider Toptal as well.
Learn more about Gigster Vs. Toptal here.
6. Arc.Dev Vs Toptal
- If you’re in the market for a platform to help you find tech talent through an AI-powered matching system, then Arc.dev is a noteworthy option to consider. Arc specializes in assembling dedicated development teams to tackle your tech projects comprehensively through its HireAI solution. However, it’s worth noting that Arc.dev may not be the ideal choice for those seeking a more human-centered approach, and it’s more suitable for those with a tech background that’s able to define project specifications at the onset.
- Arc.dev leverages its unique AI matching engine to match your project’s requirements with the right professionals from its extensive network. This network spans multiple time zones, offering a wide pool of talent to choose from. In fact, Arc.dev boasts an impressive track record of filling positions in under 7 days, thanks to its network of 1000+ global members.
- When it comes to pricing, Arc.dev developers can range from $70 to $100+ per hour making them one of the pricier Toptal alternatives.
- In terms of trial options, Arc.dev also does not offer a trial period. Clients are required to put their faith in Arc.dev’s capabilities and expertise from the outset.
- Arc.dev holds a G2 Score of 4.7
If your project demands a comprehensive team of highly skilled developers and designers, and you’re willing to invest in an AI-powered system to find you talent matched from a pre-screened pool, then Arc.dev could be the right choice for you. However, it’s essential to weigh your options carefully, as there are other competitors in the market, such as Total, that also offer fully managed project solutions. Depending on your specific requirements, Total might be a viable alternative worth exploring.
7. Supersourcing Vs Toptal
- Supersourcing excels in software development with a diverse pool of experts, including full-stack devs, tech specialists, UX/UI designers, blockchain experts, mobile devs, and more, catering to niche needs.
- It stands out due to its rigorous freelancer vetting, ensuring only the best professionals are available, guaranteeing high-quality work for clients.
- Supersourcing offers a global talent pool from various time zones and countries, enabling 24/7 productivity and fostering diversity, leading to innovation.
- An algorithm-based matching system pairs freelancers with employers based on skills and project requirements, streamlining the hiring process.
- Access to transparent freelancer profiles, including work history, portfolio, client reviews, and technical skills, empowers informed hiring decisions.
- Flexible work models, from fixed-priced contracts to hourly agreements, cater to project needs and preferences.
- Unlike budget-friendly platforms like Fiverr, Supersourcing prioritizes vetting and quality assurance, ensuring confidence in hiring highly skilled software developers.
If you’re exploring alternatives to Toptal, you might want to consider Supersourcing, a robust talent platform that competes with Toptal by offering an efficient way for companies to scale their teams with top-tier software developers. Supersourcing empowers businesses to rapidly onboard 2 to 200 skilled software developers in a matter of days, making it a compelling choice for those seeking high-quality talent quickly.
8. Upwork Vs Toptal
- Unlike Toptal, Upwork does not screen its freelancers. Hence the client needs to have the capacity to conduct the vetting process themselves, which may take up to 8 weeks to finalize the hire.
- Even though Upwork’s bidding system lowers the project’s price, it attracts a large number of sub-par talent, hence it’s not the most suitable place to search for high-end developers for long-term projects.
- Upwork is yet another Toptal alternative for clients seeking talent at a low cost, according to Reddit users.
- The average Upwork developer rates are from $8-$15/hr, and they go up to $200/hr based on seniority (Both Hourly & per-project payment options being available). Additionally, Upwork charges a commission at a rate of 2.75% per client.
- Upwork holds a G2 Score of 4.6
If you’re looking for a more flexible and diverse pool of freelancers at varying price points, Upwork can be a preferred choice over Toptal. Unlike Toptal’s exclusive selection process, Upwork provides a platform where clients can review freelancers’ profiles, portfolios, and client feedback to make informed hiring decisions.
More on Upwork Vs. Toptal here.
9. Fiverr Vs Toptal
- If you’re on the hunt for alternatives to Toptal, then Fiverr provides a database of freelancers of varying skill sets to provide their services online. Fiverr is one such Toptal competitor where you can either post your project and allow freelancers to bid on it, or you can directly approach the talent in their freelance network if you find one that seems right.
- Similarly, their highly competitive bidding system on Fiverr forces talent to reduce their rates in order to get gigs.
- One can hope to hire a developer within $5-$800 per project. Additionally, Fiverr charges up to 20% of the service fee from the buyer.
- They claim that hires can be made within 1 to 3 days. However, it should be noted that since Fiverr does not offer vetted talent, the hiring process can lengthen if the client doesn’t find the right fit.
- Fiverr holds a G2 Score of 4.3
If you have a very tight budget and are willing to compromise on the quality of your project, Fiverr may be an option for you. However, several Reddit users have pointed out the downsides of this Toptal alternative. Unlike other platforms, Fiverr does not offer pre-vetted talent. In comparison, Toptal freelancers guarantee high-quality output, which cannot be said for the non-screened talent at Fiverr.
Read more about Fiverr vs Toptal here.