Java Courses and Certifications to Improve Your Coding Skills in 2023
Java has firmly established itself as a prominent programming language, catering to a diverse range of software development needs and gaining widespread adoption across enterprises of varying sizes. It offers developers powerful features for building robust applications, leading to a growing demand for skilled Java developers.
Table of Contents
For those looking to strengthen their Java skills or embark on a career in Java development, considering certification programs or enrolling in relevant courses can offer significant benefits. In this article, we will delve into some of the top Java certification options and courses available in 2023.
The Java Programming Masterclass course on Udemy is a comprehensive course that covers everything from the basics of Java programming to advanced topics like data structures and algorithms. The course is designed to help you learn Java programming from scratch and become a computer programmer. One of the best things about this course is that it is updated regularly to keep up with the latest trends in Java development.
The course has 46 sections with a total of 702 lectures. The course modules are;
- Getting Started: In this topic, you will learn the fundamental concepts of Java programming, providing a solid foundation for your journey into the world of coding.
- Programming Tools Setup: This topic will teach you how to set up essential programming tools, ensuring a conducive environment for effective Java development.
- First Steps: You will explore the initial steps of Java programming in this topic, gaining a practical understanding of basic syntax and program structure.
- Expressions, Statements, and More: This topic will deepen your knowledge of Java programming by delving into advanced concepts such as expressions and statements.
- Control Flow: In this topic, you will learn about control flow in Java, including loops and conditional statements, to create dynamic and efficient programs.
- OOP Part 1 – Inheritance: This module reviews the principles of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP), with a focus on inheritance and its role in creating modular and reusable code.
- OOP Part 2 – Polymorphism: This topic will teach you about polymorphism in Object-Oriented Programming, a key concept for creating versatile and flexible Java programs.
- Arrays: You will explore the usage of arrays in Java in this topic, understanding how to manipulate and work with them effectively.
- List, ArrayList, LinkedList, Iterator, Autoboxing: In this topic, you will learn about Java’s built-in list structures, including ArrayLists and LinkedLists, and concepts like iterators and autoboxing.
- Abstraction in Java: This topic will teach you about abstraction, a crucial concept in Java programming that contributes to creating clear and manageable code structures.
- Generics: In this topic, you will explore the concept of generics in Java, a powerful feature enhancing code reusability and type safety.
- Lambda Expressions, Functional Interfaces, and Method References: You will learn about modern Java features like lambda expressions and functional interfaces in this topic, enabling you to write concise and expressive code.
- Java Collections: This topic reviews the comprehensive set of Java Collections, including lists, sets, and maps, providing insights into choosing the right collection for specific needs.
- Using Final, Immutable Classes, Constructors, Initializers, and Sealed Classes: In this topic, you will explore concepts like final, immutability, constructors, and sealed classes, ensuring the creation of robust and secure Java programs.
- Streams: This topic will teach you about Java Streams, a powerful mechanism for processing sequences of data, and how to leverage them for efficient programming.
- Back to a Few Nuts and Bolts: This module reviews key programming elements, ensuring a solid understanding of essential concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.
- Regular Expressions: In this topic, you will explore regular expressions in Java, a versatile tool for pattern matching and text processing.
- Input and Output (I/O), Working with Files in Java: You will learn about Java’s I/O operations and working with files in this topic, a crucial aspect of real-world applications.
- Naming Conventions and Packages, Static and Final Keywords: This topic delves into best practices regarding naming conventions, package organization, and the significance of static and final keywords in Java.
- JavaFX: In this topic, you will explore JavaFX for creating graphical user interfaces (GUIs), adding a dynamic visual layer to your Java applications.
- Concurrency in Java: This topic will teach you about the intricacies of concurrency in Java, including multithreading and synchronization, for creating responsive and efficient applications.
- Debugging and Unit Testing: In this topic, you will learn effective debugging techniques and the importance of unit testing for ensuring the reliability of your Java code.
- Databases: You will explore Java’s capabilities for database interactions in this topic, understanding how to connect, query, and manage databases in your applications.
- Java Networking Programming: In this topic, you will explore networking concepts in Java, enabling you to create applications that communicate over networks.
- Java 9 Module System: This topic reviews the Java 9 Module System, a feature that enhances modularity and organization in large-scale Java applications
- Migrating Java Projects to Java 9: In this topic, you will learn the process of migrating existing Java projects to Java 9, ensuring compatibility and leveraging new features.
- New Format Coding Exercises: In this topic, you will engage in coding exercises in the new format, applying your knowledge and reinforcing your Java programming skills.
- Course Introduction – Old Content for Java 11: This module reviews archived content related to the course introduction for Java 11, providing historical insights into the course’s evolution.
- Software Tools Setup – Old Content for Java 11: This topic reviews older content related to software tools setup for Java 11, highlighting the progression of development environments.
This course has many other sections, and each section will cover an important aspect of Java Programming.
By the end of this, you can receive a certificate of completion which you can share on your social media, Linkedin.
Complete Java SE 8 Developer Bootcamp – OCA Prep Included’ is a course on Udemy, and this is a comprehensive course that covers everything from the basics of Java programming to advanced topics like data structures and algorithms. The course is designed to help you learn Java programming from scratch and become a computer programmer.
This course includes 18 sections, and the course modules are;
- Welcome and Installing the Java SE Development Kit 8 (JDK): In this section, you will receive a warm welcome and practical guidance on installing the Java SE Development Kit 8 (JDK), the essential foundation for Java development.
- Getting Started with Java: This module will help you begin your Java journey by getting acquainted with the basics, understanding key concepts, and setting the stage for your programming exploration.
- Introduction to Objects: This section will introduce you to the fundamental concept of objects in Java, laying the groundwork for understanding object-oriented programming (OOP) principles.
- Static, Scope, and Garbage Collection: This topic will cover the nuances of static elements, variable scope, and garbage collection in Java, gaining insights into memory management and program structure.
- Packages: You will explore the concept of packages in Java, understanding how to organize and structure your code for modularity and reusability.
- Java Conventions and Primitives: This topic will teach you about Java coding conventions and the use of primitive data types, ensuring clean and standardized programming practices.
- Java Syntax: You will understand the syntax of Java programming, including statements, expressions, and the overall structure of Java code.
- Strings: This section will explore the handling of strings in Java, including string manipulation, concatenation, and essential string operations.
- Encapsulation: You will learn the principles of encapsulation in Java, a key aspect of OOP, for creating secure and modular code.
- Inheritance: This topic will cover the concept of inheritance, and understanding how it enables code reuse and hierarchy in Java classes.
- Polymorphism: This topic will explore polymorphism in Java, a powerful OOP concept allowing objects to take on multiple forms and behaviors.
- Abstract Classes and Interfaces: Here, you will understand the use of abstract classes and interfaces in Java, enabling the creation of flexible and modular code structures.
- Lambda Expressions and Static Imports: In this section, you will learn about modern Java features such as lambda expressions and static imports, enhancing code conciseness and readability.
- Dates and Time: You will explore the handling of dates and times in Java, including the usage of the Date and Time API for effective time management in your applications.
- Arrays: This topic will teach you to understand the usage of arrays in Java, a fundamental data structure for handling collections of elements.
- Collections: You will explore the concept of collections in Java, understanding the dynamic handling of groups of objects.
- More with Collections: This topic will delve deeper into advanced operations and techniques with Java collections, expanding your proficiency in managing data structures.
- Exception Handling: You will learn the principles of exception handling in Java, understanding how to gracefully manage errors and unexpected situations in your code.
By the end of this course, you will be able to read and write basic command line programs in Java, generate HTML-based documentation for code, and also know how to use an Integrated Development Environment to develop and debug programs.
Spring: Framework in Depth is an intermediate-level course on LinkedIn Learning created by software architect Frank Moley. The course provides a comprehensive overview of Spring, the enterprise application framework, and the inversion-of-control container for Java. It covers topics like the building blocks of Spring, configuring the ApplicationContext, component scanning, the bean lifecycle, and aspect-oriented programming. The course also includes real-world examples and coding challenges to help you practice your new Java programming skills.
- Introduction: In this topic, you will learn the foundational concepts of Java, providing a starting point for your journey into the language.
- Spring Overview: This topic will teach you about the Spring framework, exploring its architecture, and features, and how it simplifies Java development.
- Configuring the Application Context: In this topic, you will explore configuring the application context in Java, learning how to manage dependencies and components effectively.
- Component Scanning: This topic will deepen your understanding as you explore component scanning in Java, discovering how it dynamically identifies and registers components within the application context.
- The Bean Life Cycle: In this topic, you will learn about the life cycle of beans in Java, understanding the phases of instantiation, configuration, and management throughout their existence.
- Aspect-Oriented Programming: This topic will teach you about Aspect-Oriented Programming (AOP) in Java, allowing you to modularize cross-cutting concerns for cleaner and more maintainable code.
- Conclusion: Concluding this Java module, this section reviews key learnings, summarizing the covered topics, and emphasizing their significance in practical Java development.
Upon completion of this course, you will receive a shareable certificate which you can share on Linkedin.
Advanced Java Programming is a complete Java Programming Certificate Course on LinkedIn Learning. This course is designed to help you expand your programming skills and covers some of the more advanced features of Java. The course is taught by Bethan Palmer, a software architect, and covers topics like generics in Java, and advanced data structures.
The course modules are;
- Introduction to Java Programming: In this topic, you will learn the fundamentals of Java programming, providing a solid foundation for your coding journey.
- Getting Started with Java: This topic will teach you the initial steps of Java programming, ensuring a smooth start and understanding of basic concepts.
- Generics in Java: In this topic, you will explore the concept of generics in Java, a powerful feature for creating flexible and type-safe code structures.
- Advanced-Data Structures: This topic will deepen your understanding as you explore advanced data structures in Java, learning their implementation and usage for efficient problem-solving.
- Functional Programming in Java: In this topic, you will explore functional programming concepts in Java, learning how to write concise and expressive code.
- Multithreading in Java: This topic will teach you about multithreading in Java, providing insights into creating concurrent and responsive applications.
- Input and Output (I/O): In this topic, you will explore Java’s input and output operations, understanding how to handle data streams for effective communication.
- Working with Files and Directories: This topic will teach you how to work with files and directories in Java, a crucial aspect of real-world applications.
- Conclusion: Conclude this Java module by reviewing key learnings, summarizing the covered topics, and reflecting on their importance in Java programming.
By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how Java works and will have the ability to create Java applications.
Here, we have added a comparison table for all the Java certification courses mentioned above in this article.
|Course/ program||Cost||Level||Duration||Study mode|
|Java Programming Masterclass Updated to Java 17||$74.99||Intermediate / Advanced||131.5 hours||Online|
|Complete Java SE 8 Developer Bootcamp - OCA Prep Included||$94.99||Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced||11.5 hours||Online|
|Spring: Framework in Depth||$39.99||Intermediate||1 hour 57 minutes||Online|
|Advanced Java Programming||$44.99||Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced||1 hour 55 minutes||Online|
The above table demonstrates the differences between each of the Java courses, encompassing duration, costs, and prerequisite skills. Course fees are contingent on factors such as the learning platform, study format, and duration. When you are selecting a Java certificate course, it is important to consider whether it assesses your skills, financial considerations, and career objectives.
In conclusion, taking a Java course in 2023 offers a significant opportunity for career growth. With proper training, you can hone your skills as a Java developer and engage in exciting and challenging projects. Regardless of whether you are still a beginner or an experienced Java Developer, a variety of courses and certification programs are available to elevate your expertise in Java development.
Table of Contents